Hopefully, you’re getting some love from your Valentine(s) today. If not, how about a gift from the country’s largest passenger railroad service? Now through Feb. 16, Amtrak is offering a buy-one-get-one free (BOGO) ticket as part of their Amtrak Loves You Sale.
While the sale only lasts a couple more days, tickets bought by Feb. 16 allow you to bring along a companion for free for the next six months, during travel from March 1, 2022 – August 31, 2022.
Amtrak BOGO deal
According to the Amtrak website, the deal is “valid for travel in Coach class nationally on most routes and also on Acela Business Class in the Northeast.” Adult one-way fares for some of the carrier’s most popular routes start at:
- New York to Philadelphia: $18 for coach; $51 for Acela business class
- Philadelphia to Washington, D.C.: $18 for coach; $57 for Acela business class
- Boston to New York: $29 for coach; $69 for Acela
- New York to Providence: $25 for coach; $66 for Acela
- Washington, D.C. to Atlanta: $106 for coach
- Chicago to Milwaukee: $25 for coach
- New York to Chicago: $90 for coach
- Charlotte to New York: $101 for coach
- Los Angeles to Seattle: $101 for coach
- Oklahoma City to Fort Worth: $31 for coach
How to book
The fare discount will automatically apply when the reservation is booked from this page; simply enter two travelers instead of one. From the Amtrak app, the sale can be accessed by using the code: V214.
The fine print
Note that these are starting fares, and they are not valid on all trains at all times. Once ticketed, fares are non-refundable, though exchanges are permitted prior to scheduled departure. No additional discounts apply, and the full fare adult and companion must be booked in the same reservation and travel together. The BOGO deal is not valid on Auto Train, Pennsylvanian, Keystone Service, and 7000-8999 Thruways.
If you’ve never splurged on that quick Acela ride due to the extra cost, now’s your moment to split the cost with a friend or loved one and get to your destination in record time.