A healthy diet is one that helps to improve or maintain overall health. Healthy eating not only keeps our stomach healthy but also reduces the risk of heart disease is, heartburns, or best friend and is beneficial in prolonging the lifespan. In recent times vegan diet has found great importance all across the globe; for particular ethical, environmental, or health-related issues.
WHAT IS VEGANISM?
Veganism is a practice of completely sidestepping from any animal products for food like meat, eggs, milk, curd, yogurt, etc. and entirely depending on plant-dependent items for cooking. Furthermore, ethical vegans are even found to boycott using animal products for all aspects of lifestyle. But it is found that depending on only plant food may sometimes result in a nutrition deficit.
Yet, if taken carefully, it is found that vegan food is more beneficial than it seems. Following are some of the critical nutrients and where to fulfill them in our body through a vegan diet:
- Fruits and vegetables: They have a high content of antioxidants. Antioxidants are found to protect cells from damage, which may otherwise leave our body prone to diseases. Recent studies have found that antioxidants like polyphenols found in cloves, cocoa powder, and berries, Beans, corn, nuts, soya, and tea are found to influence fighting diseases like depression, diabetes, and dementia.
- Fiber: Fibres work as roughage in our body to help in digestion and excretion and also is food for useful bacteria in our stomach. High fiber foods include beans, broccoli, berries, popcorn, avocado, Apple, dates, potato, and nuts. Fibers also help to improve our immune system.
- Protein: Protein is found in a higher amount in items like tofu, lentils, chickpeas, yeast, spelled, hempseed, and Greenpeace. The amino acid, the building block of protein, aids the immune system, muscle synthesis, and metabolism.
- Healthy fat: The need for healthy fat in our body can be fulfilled through plants, from cashews, almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, coconut, avocado, and olive oil. Healthy fat is useful in lowering blood pressure, lowering triglyceride associated with heart disease, and fight inflammation.
- Carbohydrates: Most vegan diets are high in carbohydrates because they include a lot of legumes and grains; they are found mostly in whole grains, rice, potatoes, etc.
HOW CAN WE GAIN DIET BE MORE BENEFICIAL THAN ANIMAL DIET?
- Research shows that people following a vegan diet lose more weight than people with the animal diet for relying on a low-fat plant-based diet rather than fatty dairy products and fat-rich meats.
- While eliminating animal products in the diet, snacks will suddenly pivot towards whole grains, fruits, and vegetables instead of sugary food.
- A vegan diet is found to have a drastic rate in a decrease in cholesterol levels of our body and helps to maintain high blood pressure.
- A study in 2015, by JAMA, suggests that a meat-free diet can lead to reducing the risk of colon cancer.
- People who follow a vegan diet are found to have a higher score for the healthy eating index because they eat more minimally processed whole plant foods such as vegetables, fruits, beans, and nuts.
- Another research shows that meat-eaters tend to drink and smoke rather than plant-eaters.
Enjoyed this article? Stay informed by joining our newsletter!